Over the past few years, the digital and social media landscape in India has changed tremendously.
If you work in marketing, or have a product or service to sell in India, you've probably realized that it's essential to establish a strong online presence. The only way to grow your business is to establish brand awareness and grow your brand's online influence.
There are many new marketing technology such as Marketing Automation and Messenger Chatbot popping up everyday and the digital marketing landscape can easily become overwhelming!
Influencer Marketing is growing rapidly and you've probably heard about the benefits of word-of-mount marketing. Maybe you're just curious to learn what are the platforms and tools avaialbe to help you with your upcoming influencer marketing campaign. If so, you're in the right place!
We are going to demystifying influencer marketing and all the various components that make it successful.
Before long, let's take a deep dive to understand what has changed and how brands are leveraging social media to gain advantage across the customer lifecycle, as well as what customers look for when engaging with brands on social media.
The top-three objectives for brands to build a social media presence were to create awareness, build a community and engage with customers.
The top-three challenges faced for marketing a brand on social media were — sustaining or increasing engagement rates, content creation and measuring effectiveness.
Indian Brands are leveraging on information gathered from digital and social touch points to gain better customer insights, improve customer experience and also for new product development.
Brands are advertising on web, social and mobile, and driving traffic across channels by cross-linking various platforms to attract users to their digital touch points. Brands are also looking to create compelling content such as storytelling, contests to drive users to digital and social media channels.
Here's a quick low down on the state of social media marketing and influencer marketing landscape in the India.
- The total population in India is 1.324 billion.
- January 2017 data puts the active social networking penetration in India at 14% of the total population - one of the lowest rates worldwide. Nevertheless, India is second largest online market behind China, globally.
- For many connected users in India, access to the Internet is primarily for accessing social media networks. According to a report by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), 66% of the Internet users in urban India regularly access social media platforms.
- India has world's largest number of Facebook Users with over 200 million users, overtaking US and Indonesia.
- In India, there are over 462 Million internet users and 200 Million are active social media users.
- In India, 76% of Facebook users are Men, and 24% users are women, which illustrates the barriers women face in India to access technology and information.
- There are age and gender differences in usage rates among various social media platforms In India.
- Generally, all age groups spend 1–2 hours on social media per day. However, the amount of time spent on social media seems to decrease as the age of the respondent groups increases.
- Key Facebook Users from India are aged 18-24, which is the largest and fastest growing population segment.
- Over 60% of active social network users are college going students.
- A users revisits Facebook more than 3 times in a day.
- 11% of Internet users are connected via WhatsApp.
- 9% of Internet users use Facebook Messenger to converse online.
- 8% of Indian Internet users use Skype to connect with family, friends and loved ones. Skype has gained popularity and is even used for formal conversations.
- 6% of Indian Internet users are on Twitter; a micro-blogging website that has gained popularity over the years and is now an integral part of the social media ecosystem.
- Twitter has 23.2 million Monthly Active Users in India, which is 2nd largest in Asia-Pacific after Japan with 26 million MUAs.
- Activities on Social Networking sites are high between 6 PM to 10 PM.
- Mumbai and New Delhi accounts highest traffic to social media sites.
Top Influencer Marketing Statistics Every Marketer Should Know
- 70% of teenage YouTube subscribers trust influencer opinions over traditional celebrities.
- 86% of women turn to social networks before making a purchase.
- 32% of influencers who currently work with brands cite Facebook as the best platform, followed by Instagram at 24%.
- 71% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase based on a social media reference.
- 86% of the most-viewed beauty videos on YouTube were made by influencers, compared to 14% by beauty brands, themselves.
- 57% of beauty and fashion companies use influencers as part of their marketing strategies.
- On average, businesses generate $6.50 for every $1 invested in influencer marketing.