1) Tell us a little about yourself. What are you doing now and where do you come from?
I’m a 33 year old chef from New york. I had my first restaurant job at 14 and worked my way up through all aspects of the industry. In 2010 I took a job as the executive chef of a wine focused event space in lower Manhattan. I spent the next 7 years in the wine world. Leading hundreds of wine classes and tastings building a large following. Last October I decided to take the show on the road. I moved to London so I could use it as a home base to travel Europe teach wine classes and explore. I am currently perusing my level 4 diploma from WSET (wine spirits education trust) and I visit a different country almost every week.
2) What are your topics of interest? What do you post on Instagram the most?
I love food wine travel and a good time. Lucky for me all of those things go hand in hand.
3) How did your Instagram name come about?
My Instagram name is chefryansmith. I started out using Instagram as a place to send people in my wine classes and pop up events for more info on upcoming events. Having a common name I’m still suprised it was available.
4) What are some apps you use to edit your photos? Share with us your photo-editing routine!
99 percent of my posts are unedited and Unfiltered. I think that adds to the genuine feel of my page.
5) Any Instagrammers whom you really like? Which Instagrammer inspires you the most?
I always get a kick out of Anthony Bourdain. He gets to travel the world eating and drinking. I love his unapologetic aditude. Francis Mallmann is also a huge inspiration. His page is genuine.
6) If there’s one thing your fellow Instagrammers just gotta try now, what’s it gonna be?
Try using hashtags to plan your travel. When I am planning to go somewhere I’ll search the hashtag for restaurant and club ideas. I also use hashtags to research wine. People are taking the time to put a lot of good information out there. Take advantage of it.
7) What’s your favorite part about being an influencer?
My whole life I’ve been looking for a way to communicate with people on things if passionate about. weather it’s a new ingredient or a wine I love. Being an influencer is just an extension of that.
8) What are some of your top tips to brands for running campaigns? How do you maintain authenticity?
Don’t sell people things. Find things that you are passionate about and infect people with your passion.
9) What would your advice be on the importance of quality and original content?
My definition of quality on IG may be different then others. I think that you can put all the time in the world making sure your pictures are styled to the max and filtered like crazy. But I think a post can be equally quality if the picture is a 6 out of 10 as long as you make a connection with people. That connection can be imparting knowledge or just making them smile.
10) What do you like best about partnering with brands?
my whole life I’ve been the guy who has to tell everyone about my new favorite thing. Every time people come to my house it’s like show and tell. Partnering with brands allows me to do it on a much larger scale.
- Food & Drink
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Want to be featured on our blog and Instagram? Submit your applications today and we will get back to you!